This is Jane. She is a generous and tolerant soul, but she doesn’t suffer a lot of nonsense. She hates internet flamethrowers, and will blast the head off of comments that are designed purely to provoke a lot of anonymous bullshit and bravado from behind a keyboard.
Jane loves to hear a good discussion, even a sharp one, as long as it doesn’t get personal. She’s a stick to the subject kind of person. She’s also not willing to listen to xenophobic, racist, sexist, and homophobic slurs. Engage in any of that, and your life expectancy in the Comments Column will be pretty brief.
Jane, as you know, is a woman. She has visited other lists and blogs, and she’d like you to know – especially the guys – that a lot of these discussions are not very welcoming spaces for women because of the way men behave on them. She suggests that men edit themselves for the following:
(1) Macho debating styles that attempt to crush opponents
(2) Grandiose cyber-Personnae
(3) Unexamined language embedded with sexist notions
(4) Suggestions about your sexual prowess (no one believes it or cares)
(5) Tendencies to simply pronounce approval or disapproval (like an appointed judge) instead of addressing the content of an argument
(6) Tough-guy talk (Jane is tougher than you are, and unimpressed.)
Jane wants more women’s voices in these discussions, so help us out with this, you guys.
This is Jane’s house, and while she is tolerant, she does not recognize anyone’s unconditional ‘right’ to run around the house doing the first thing that comes into his head. She is a very hospitable person, but that doesn’t mean anything goes.
Some people think ‘anything goes’ is somehow ‘democratic.’ Not Jane. Jane says that when there are no rules, then the loudest, most obnoxious bully dominates the room. Jane believes that democratic discussions need rules… not decrees, but rules that define mutual respect, human decency, and good will.
Jane thanks you.